Merino wool is considered to be one of the finest and softest types of wool available. On top of its unique qualities merino is great for all seasons and is even considered as one of the best bedding materials. Today we are presenting you some additional info about the unique type of wool – merino.
One of the most popular types of wool used in textiles and clothing is merino. Soft, hardwearing and cosy, you will find this wool in garments from thermal underwear and sports base layers to woollen blankets and designer suits.
So why is merino such a superstar fabric? Well, the answer lies with Nature. Originating in Spain, Merino sheep now traditionally graze in the high altitude and extreme temperatures of the New Zealand Southern Alps, and the high rainfall areas of Australia. Their coats have evolved to produce a thick, warm fleece to ensure they survive the freezing mountain winters, and a finer coat that is grown in spring once the heavier fleece has been shed or shorn. Once humans started using the wool and harnessing these temperature-regulating properties, merino wool grew in popularity.
But merino wool doesn’t just keep you warm in winter and cool in summer. Other beneficial qualities include:
- Anti-microbial properties mean that merino doesn’t allow bacteria from sweat to develop into odours.
- Moisture wicking Merino can absorb up to one third its weight in liquid, keeping moisture away from your skin. It will also keep you warm, even when wet, making it a popular choice as a base layer for skiing and winter sports.
- Soft and silky Unlike some woollen fabrics, merino is superfine and soft to touch, meaning it is not itchy. It feels light, as well as snuggly.
- Resilient Anything that has developed to withstand the extremes of mountain weather is going to be hardwearing and long lasting. Merino wool is strong yet naturally durable, and retains its shape due to the elasticity of the fibres.
- Sustainable Naturally-occurring, biodegradable and renewable, merino’s eco credentials are something special too (though the controversial practice of mulesing to prevent fly strike means you might want to check the source of your wool if you want to be sure of ethical production).
Don’t just take our word for it, experience the magic of merino for yourself with one of our sumptuous merino throws. Our range of blankets come in a variety of designs, from simple block colours to multi-coloured patterns. Each one combines the luxurious comfort and cosiness of merino wool, with the functionality of this brilliant textile. Whether you are looking for a throw to curl up with on the sofa or a blanket to brighten your bedroom, we’ve got you covered.
While most of us are well aware of natural fibres such as linen, wool and cotton, the more unique ones such as merino wool are often overlooked. This natural fibre has a lot of unique qualities and benefits making it one of the greatest natural fibres you can find. The simple natural fibre, taken from Merino sheep – merino wool is fluffy in appearance, but very lightweight.
Able to retain and diffuse heat as needed because of its insulating qualities merino wool is perfect for people with sensitive skin and great for cold weather.
Shrinking a wool throw or a garment is often a case when too warm temperatures are used while washing them or in the dryer.
How to unshrink a sweater or wool throw?
It is still may be possible to restore the original size of your merino wool throw or a garment. As the possibility to restore the wool throw depends on a variety of factors, it is probable to increase your throw or sweater by as much as a size and a half using this process (can work for other wool knit objects as well, for that matter).
So, what to do? Follow these steps and be gentle with your wool throws, blankets or piece of clothing.
Choosing a wool throw or a blanket one must include merino wool throws & blankets among the options. Merino wool products are well known for their warmth, resilience, natural elasticity and softness. These properties make merino wool the ideal material for quality sleeping environment. Merino wool provides throws & blankets with lasting texture and comfort and also resists microbes and dust mites.
In order to help you choosing the best merino wool throw or blanket, we have put together this article, so read on!