One of the most popular types of wool used in textiles and clothing is merino. Soft, hardwearing and cosy, you will find this wool in garments from thermal underwear and sports base layers to woollen blankets and designer suits.
So why is merino such a superstar fabric? Well, the answer lies with Nature. Originating in Spain, Merino sheep now traditionally graze in the high altitude and extreme temperatures of the New Zealand Southern Alps, and the high rainfall areas of Australia. Their coats have evolved to produce a thick, warm fleece to ensure they survive the freezing mountain winters, and a finer coat that is grown in spring once the heavier fleece has been shed or shorn. Once humans started using the wool and harnessing these temperature-regulating properties, merino wool grew in popularity.
But merino wool doesn’t just keep you warm in winter and cool in summer. Other beneficial qualities include:
- Anti-microbial properties mean that merino doesn’t allow bacteria from sweat to develop into odours.
- Moisture wicking Merino can absorb up to one third its weight in liquid, keeping moisture away from your skin. It will also keep you warm, even when wet, making it a popular choice as a base layer for skiing and winter sports.
- Soft and silky Unlike some woollen fabrics, merino is superfine and soft to touch, meaning it is not itchy. It feels light, as well as snuggly.
- Resilient Anything that has developed to withstand the extremes of mountain weather is going to be hardwearing and long lasting. Merino wool is strong yet naturally durable, and retains its shape due to the elasticity of the fibres.
- Sustainable Naturally-occurring, biodegradable and renewable, merino’s eco credentials are something special too (though the controversial practice of mulesing to prevent fly strike means you might want to check the source of your wool if you want to be sure of ethical production).
Don’t just take our word for it, experience the magic of merino for yourself with one of our sumptuous merino throws. Our range of blankets come in a variety of designs, from simple block colours to multi-coloured patterns. Each one combines the luxurious comfort and cosiness of merino wool, with the functionality of this brilliant textile. Whether you are looking for a throw to curl up with on the sofa or a blanket to brighten your bedroom, we’ve got you covered.