Wool throws and blankets possess lots of attractive qualities, e.g. fire, water and wrinkle resistance, exceptional insulation and softness. Caring for a wool throw is quite an easy task and we always recommend follow to the instructions the product label dictates. Usually manufacturers insist on dry-cleaning wool products or recommends washing by hand, yet, often wool throws are fine to wash in the washing machine (provided they fit in it, in the first place!).
To wash a wool blanket in a washing machine, follow these steps:
- Fill your washing machine with cool or lukewarm water. Then turn it off and add to the water some gentle soap or a special wool wash. Do not use commercial laundry detergents with chemical additives and fragrances.
- Take your wool throw and place it into the washing machine. The throw should not be folded at this point! Allow the throw to soak in the water for 10-15 minutes (the washing machine is still off).
- Agitate the throw in the water using your hands. Then select the “spin” cycle on your washing machine and allow it to work through.
- After the cycle finishes, take the wool throw out of the washing machine and put it carefully aside. Re-fill the washing machine with cool or lukewarm water.
- Take your wool throw or blanket and place it in the water again. Allow soaking for 10-15 minutes and then run the “spin” cycle once more.
- Remove the throw from the machine and spread it out on a flat surface to dry. Place some cloth sheets beneath it so they absorb the moisture from the blanket.
- Avoid using the electric dryer to dry the throw. It may cause the shrinkage of the blanket or damage to the fibers.